Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cake Batter Pancakes - A Great Way to Start My 33rd Year

Before going to bed last night, I was a bit bummed that I hadn't planned out anything for my birthday. I didn't even think about whether or not I want to make myself a little cake, or what kind it would be. And then I saw these: cake batter pancakes! I figured that's almost as good as eating cake for breakfast!

Being as I asked the husband to make these for me, I can't offer any tips, though he says they were easy. I can vouch for how amazing they taste though, which is almost better in my book! They are sweet, possibly too sweet for some, but if you have a sweet-tooth like I do, you won't bat an eyelash! The cake mix and baking powder made them rise quite nicely, giving them a nice airy/puffy cake texture. Don't be tempted to pour a lot of glaze on top either - a little bit will go a long way (though I did need more for the last one)!

These would be a great tradition and I think they'll definitely become one in our household! Try them, you won't be disappointed!

Cake Batter Pancakes
Recipe Source: How Sweet Eats
Makes 12 pancakes (ours made 9)
Ingredients:
Pancakes:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
cup yellow cake mix (we used Funfetti - feel free to use your favorite homemade)
1 tablespoon sugar
¾ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 cups of milk (we used vanilla almond milk)
Assorted sprinkles

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
½ tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Assorted sprinkles

Directions:
To make the pancakes:
1. Combine flour, cake mix, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and mix. Add 1 cup of milk, eggs and vanilla and stir until smooth. The batter should be like normal pancake batter: not real thick, not real thin, which will vary depending on the cake mix you use. Add more milk if needed and make sure the batter is flavored enough.
2. Preheat a skillet over medium heat or an electric griddle to 250 degrees F. Fold desired amount of sprinkles into the batter. Pour batter in ¼ cup measurements onto skillet/griddle and cook until bubbles form on top (about 2-3 minutes). Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with glaze.

To make the glaze:
1. Mix sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. You may need to add a little more milk or sugar to reach the desired consistency.
2. Fold in sprinkles and drizzle on pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment