Monday, September 3, 2012

The Most Amazing Chocolate Ice Cream

We had told the roommate about this amazing ice cream we made a few months ago for the husband's birthday: rich, creamy, velvety smooth and oh-so-amazing! This was one of the best ice creams I have ever had and it's been haunting me every since. Seriously, you should really make it! Or come over and I'll make it for you!

So, today called for ice cream. For the husband's birthday, I had added a peanut butter ribbon and chunks of peanut butter cups, but I knew this time I wanted it to stand alone. I got started on the mix last night since it needed to chill. Looking at the recipe, I felt like it would take a bit. I didn't seem to recall it being difficult the last time, but with my back hurting all day yesterday, I just wasn't up to anything other than simple. Let me reassure you now: it is simple.

You definitely want to strain the mixture, even if you end up using a flour sifter like I did. I also didn't separate the egg yolks ahead of time. Instead, I left the milk on medium-low heat while I separated them and once I was finished, it was warm enough to slowly add to the egg yolks.

The hardest part of the whole recipe is resisting the urge to plunge your head into the bowl! It's definitely not a low-calorie ice cream, but once you taste it, that won't matter one little bit. In fact, I am willing to bet that tomorrow there will be a throw-down at my house as we all fight for the last remaining scoop!

Chocolate Ice Cream
Recipe Adapted from: Confections of a Foodie Bride
Makes 1 quart
Ingredients
2 cups heavy cream, divided
3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
5 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup sugar 
¼ teaspoon salt
5 large egg yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Warm 1 cup of cream with cocoa powder and whisk thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, add the chocolate, and stir until smooth. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of cream. Pour into a large bowl, scraping out the saucepan as thoroughly as possible, and set a mesh strainer over the bowl. 
2. Warm the milk, sugar and salt in the saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the yolks together. Slowly whisk the warm milk into the egg yolks and then pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan.
3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom, until thickened and the mixture coats the back of your spoon. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir into the chocolate mix until smooth. Add the vanilla. Set the bowl over an ice bath and stir until cool. 
4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the fridge (overnight is fine). Once chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Enjoy right away as a soft serve or let set in the freezer until desired consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment