Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Oatmeal Brownie Bars


Does anybody else feel like time is slipping by entirely too fast? I have a bunch of recipes and pics to post but I can never seem to find enough time to dedicate toward researching food blog tips, let alone to post!

These oatmeal brownie bars were what I sent my August Bakin' Friend, Shaina from Whirl and Whisk, using the secret ingredient: oatmeal! At first I was kind of skeptical about a brownie that had oatmeal in it. Then I realized it wasn't actually an oatmeal brownie, but more like a brownie sandwiched in-between two oatmeal crumb layers. Sign me up!



Mine came out extra gooey, which I am betting is due to my apparent lack in reading skills as I used baking soda instead of powder for the brownie layer. I was so embarrassed to send out my first ever package with a note about my mistake. But, everyone that tried them raved about them and didn't seem to mind how ultra-gooey they were - myself included! I really need to make the recipe again, without mistakes, but I'm almost afraid they won't be as good! If you give them a try, and I highly suggest you do, I'd love to know what you think of them!

Oatmeal Brownie Bars
Recipe Source: Land O Lakes
Makes 32 brownies

Ingredients:
Oatmeal Layer:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
1 cup brown sugar, packed firmly
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks

Brownie Layer:
1/3 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (I goofed and used soda)

Directions:
To make the oatmeal layer:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine all oatmeal layer ingredients in a bowl except for the butter.
3. Cut in 2/3 cup of butter with a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Reserve 1 1/4 cups of the oatmeal mixture to use later as the topping. Press the remaining crumbs into the bottom of a greased 13x9-inch pan and bake for 10 minutes.

To make the brownie layer:
1. While the oatmeal crust is baking, combine 1/3 cup butter and chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power, stirring twice, for about 30-60 seconds or until chocolate is almost melted. Stir until smooth and cool slightly.
2. Combine sugar, eggs, water and vanilla in a large bowl and beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add the melted chocolate and continue beating until well mixed.
3. Reduce speed to low and add in the flour and baking powder, beating until well mixed.

To assemble:
1. Spread the brownie mixture evenly over the warm oatmeal crust.
2. Top brownie mixture with the remaining crumb topping.
3. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until edges are set (don't overbake!)
4. Cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment