Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies

I am always on the hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Well, the perfect cookie if I'm being totally honest. I prefer somewhere in between chewy and crispy - something with a chewy center but crispy edges that crumble in your mouth as soon as you bite into it.

I also really love BIG cookies - and that's where this recipe comes in. I get tired of making little cookies that only take a few bites to devour. And although mini cookies would be cute, it would probably end with me eating like 72 of them, and no one wants that! So when I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I had to give it a try.

These turned out really well and will become a regular in my household. They were chewy in the middle, crisp on the edges, and definitely XXL like they claim. Instead of just vanilla extract, I decided to add a little bit of almond extract as well. It gave just a subtle hint (though my husband couldn't tell the difference.)

Bakery Style XXL Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe Source: Picky Palate
Makes 10-15 cookies (My batch made 19)

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp. vanilla, ½ almond)
¾ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with either parchment or a Silpat mat.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes until light and creamy. Then add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, along with the chocolate chips, until just combined. 
4. Using a giant cookie scoop or heaping ¼ cup, scoop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, placing about 5 per sheet. Press the cookies down to about ½" thick before baking.
5. Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until cookies are baked through and edges are golden brown. Remove and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment